Scientist: Downstream Processing
Company: New Culture
Location: San Leandro
Posted on: August 2, 2022
At New Culture, we are making cow cheese without the cow. Dairy
cheese is unsustainable and plant-based cheeses don't work. Ours
are sustainable, healthy, ethical, and indistinguishable from
current dairy options in taste, texture, and function. Using
fermentation to produce dairy proteins, food science to combine
those proteins with natural ingredients, and traditional
cheesemaking methods to make any cheese of choice, we are bringing
about a new culture for the cheese industry.
We are a Bay Area-based, venture-backed startup in an exciting
growth and rapid expansion phase. We are looking for a
Senior/Scientist Downstream Process Development to join us in
leading the global transformation to an animal-free dairy future.
As an early member of the team, you will have significant influence
and responsibility in determining the success and trajectory of New
Culture. The ideal candidate is looking for a new challenge in a
fast-moving, collaborative environment and has hands-on laboratory
and scale-up experience working as a part of a diverse team to
develop and optimize downstream processes, ideally for the recovery
and purification of protein targets.
What you will do:
- Design, lead and assist in bench/pilot-scale studies to support
downstream process development, optimization, characterization, and
- Develop and implement experimental plans in downscaled
processes to test and evaluate feasibility of ideas
- Oversee downstream process operations to establish the
robustness of our processes while being hands-on at the bench
- Assist with technology transfer from process development to
scale-up and manufacturing, traveling up to one week per month on
- Provide support to other scientists on the team when and where
- Work cross functionally with the Analytical team to interpret
data with high rigor and present findings at department and company
What we expect from you:
- Degree in Biological or Chemical Sciences or Engineering
- 2+ years (PhD) / 5+ years (Masters) / 8+ years (Bachelors) of
relevant industrial experience in downstream process development
and/or purification of large molecules from complex matrices (e.g.
- Hands-on experience with protein biochemistry assays and
methods (SDS-PAGE, Western Blot, ELISA, HPLC) and protein
purification (separations, filtration, precipitation,
- Experience with tech transfer, CRO/CMO interfacing/support, and
scale-up support of established downstream processes
- Recent experience (if not currently) being hands-on at the
- Ability to work closely in an interdisciplinary and
- Strong organizational and cross-functional communication
- A desire to develop cutting-edge fermentation technology to
create delicious, impactful food products
- Authorization to work in the US
Even better if you had:
- Experience working with pilot-scale DSP equipment
- Experience in small-scale operations / manufacturing
- Experience scaling up bio- and downstream processes
- Hands-on experience with analytical chemistry
- Experience working with dairy/food ingredients or in
- Experience with microbial fermentation
How to know you are a great fit:We look for candidates who are team
players, learners, doers, and hungry to make a difference in the
world. Creativity and resourcefulness, honesty, and empathy go a
long way. Our five core values guide us on our path to achieving
Determination with Kindness - Have the resolve, the drive, and the
will to succeed, but do it with empathy, encouragement, and
compassion. In the face of adversity we will only excel as a team
by keeping kindness at the forefront of everything we do.
Tenacity with Transparency - Creativity, persistence, questioning,
and crazy ideas to solve hard problems are essential to our work.
We do all of this out in the open while being honest and forthright
about the new things we're trying, getting feedback and input from
our teammates along the way.
Teamwork with Rigor - Hold yourself and those around you to high
standards and understand how your responsibilities are
interconnected with others. As much as you rely on your teammates,
they're relying on you, and only with consistent communication and
rigorous teamwork will we achieve our goals together.
Speed with Focus - We move quickly, exploring new opportunities and
incorporating new results to make progress rapidly. Remaining
focused throughout our experimentations means making thoughtful
decisions, listening to a range of perspectives, and moving forward
as a unified team once we've committed to the path ahead.
Love the Product (not just the Science) - The science is cool but
the product is even cooler. Our breakthroughs are always in the
pursuit of better products. It's by selling delicious dairy that we
will bring about a successful future for New Culture and a positive
impact for our customers and the planet.
New Culture is committed to promoting and creating a diverse,
inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity
employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender
identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin,
genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. Diversity is the
foundation of what we do at New Culture, enabling us to build a
company that celebrates what makes each of us unique.
Keywords: New Culture, San Leandro , Scientist: Downstream Processing, Other , San Leandro, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!