Life Science Research Professional 2
Company: Stanford Medicine
Location: San Leandro
Posted on: January 11, 2022
Stanford University is seeking a Life Science Research
Professional 2 to perform more complex functions and activities
involved in defined research projects, and independently conduct a
portion of the research project(s).
About the Position
We are looking for highly motivated individuals to join our
laboratory to perform technology-driven research in a dynamic and
exciting environment. This position provides long-term career
development opportunity, and we have outstanding track record
(alumni at leading institutions such as Harvard/MIT, or obtained
highly-competitive positions at Biotech companies).
The successful candidates will work directly with the PI (Dr. Le
Cong) and a team of talented trainees, be co-authors on published
work, and gain valuable bench and management expertise in our
inter-disciplinary group. There is opportunity to engage in
clinical-relevant research, and we will provide training on
computational and data analysis skills with senior members. We
encourage applicants who are willing to take on this incredible
opportunity and generate impact at the interaction of (1)
gene-editing and single-cell screening (2) computational genomics
and machine learning (3) neuro-immunology research.
About the Lab
In the lab of Dr. Le Cong at Stanford (Dept. of Pathology and Dept.
of Genetics, Wu-Tsai Neuroscience Institute and Stanford Bio-X
Institute), the overarching goal is to develop cutting-edge
gene-editing and single-cell technology to understand complex
diseases. We integrate machine learning (ML) and computational
tools, and apply the technologies to disease-relevant models.
The lab's research focuses on inventing gene-editing tools with
computationally-inspired method beyond natural CRISPR system ( JACS
2019, Nucleic Acid Research 2021 ). Using novel gene-editors, we
are performing single-cell screening to unbiased understand
disease-causing mutations. We combine the power of genome
engineering, machine learning ( ICML 2020 ), and single-cell
genomics ( Cell 2017, Cell Reports 2019 ) to understand complex
disease mechanisms. We have a particular focus on using cancer and
stem cell models ( Cancer Discovery 2020, Trends in Genetics 2021
).To learn more about the investigators, please see our group's
website ( www.conglab.com ) and Dr. Cong's profile (
Recent work include:
-New Gene-editing Technology
(Nucleic Acid Research 2021, Molecular Therapy 2020, JACS 2019)
-Single-cell and Computational Biology
(ICML 2020, Cell Reports 2019, Cell 2017)
-Stem Cell and Disease Modeling
(Trends in Genetics 2021, Cancer Discovery 2020)
We are a highly innovative team collaborating with expert groups in
cancer immunology, stem cell biology, and neuroscience. This will
be a unique opportunity to learn and grow in research,
biotechnology development, and translational applications.
- Independently conduct a portion of the research project(s).
Make recommendations on experimental design and/or research
direction to principal investigator.
- Independently conduct complex (lab and/or field) experiments to
gather data for a portion of a major research project.
- Interpret and analyze results, and make modifications to
existing procedures and protocols. Develop new research protocols
where appropriate protocols are not described in the
- Participate in multidisciplinary teams across different
faculties or schools.
- Perform ongoing literature review to remain current with new
procedures and related research.
- Contribute substantively to the preparation of papers for
publication. Present work to colleagues and/or conferences.
- Supervise (either formally or informally) staff or students as
needed. Serve as a technical resource for other research
- Oversee the daily activities of the laboratory including lab
maintenance; maintain lab stock, manage chemical inventory and
safety records, and provide general lab support as needed. May
assist with purchasing laboratory equipment.
*- Other duties may also be assigned
- Degree in molecular biology
- Experience with and ability to learn new experimental,
computational, and statistical skills.
- Experience with basic rodent handling and animal
- Take initiative to recognize and fill areas in the lab that
- Theoretical knowledge of molecular biology, gene-editing, and
next generation sequencing.
- Ability to communicate effectively with people of all technical
and scientific backgrounds.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and communication
- Experience with tissue culture, flow cytometry, and basic
molecular cloning and cell biology techniques.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE (REQUIRED): Bachelor's degree in related
scientific field and two years of relevant work experience; or
Master's degree in a related scientific field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (REQUIRED):
- Comprehensive understanding of scientific principles.
- General computer skills and ability to quickly learn and master
computer programs, databases, and scientific applications.
- Strong analytical skills and excellent judgment.
- Ability to maintain detailed records of experiments and
- Ability to work under deadlines with general guidance is
- Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to
accurately complete detailed work.
CERTIFICATIONS & LICENSES: None
- Frequently stand, walk, twist, bend, stoop, squat, grasp
lightly, use fine manipulation, grasp forcefully, perform
desk-based computer tasks, use telephone, write by hand, lift,
carry, push and pull objects weighing over 40 pounds.
- Occasionally sit, kneel, crawl, reach and work above shoulders,
sort and file paperwork or parts.
- Rarely climb, scrub, sweep, mop, chop and mix or operate hand
and foot controls.
- Must have correctible vision to perform duties of the job.
- Ability to bend, squat, kneel, stand, reach above shoulder
level, and move on hard surfaces for up to eight hours.
- Ability to lift heavy objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to work in a dusty, dirty, and odorous
- Position may require repetitive motion.
*- Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University
will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a
disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential
functions of his or her job.
- May require working in close proximity to blood borne
- May require work in an environment where animals are used for
teaching and research.
- Position may at times require the employee to work with or be
in areas where hazardous materials and/or infectious diseases are
- Employee must perform tasks that require the use of personal
protective equipment, such as safety glasses and shoes, protective
clothing and gloves, and possibly a respirator.
- May require extended or unusual work hours based on research
requirements and business needs.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4952
- Employee Status: Regular
- Pay Grade: G
- Requisition ID: 91654 As an organization that receives federal
funding, Stanford University has a COVID-19 vaccination requirement
that will apply to all university employees, including those
working remotely in the United States and applicable
subcontractors. To learn more about COVID policies and guidelines
for Stanford University Staff, please visit
Keywords: Stanford Medicine, San Leandro , Life Science Research Professional 2, Other , San Leandro, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!