Location: San Leandro
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Assist the Pacific Coast in exceeding their financial and
strategic goals by playing an active role as a key leadership
member of the division area team. Provide supervision, direction
and leadership to the warehouse employees to raise the standard of
performance in meeting the goals of our internal and external
customers. Plan, direct and monitor operation of the warehouse
(including shipping and receiving, inventory, and repack) to ensure
a competitive service advantage by maintaining a high degree of
accuracy and customer service at a minimal cost. This position will
have oversight of 3 warehouses in California.
- Set up Company's safety program in San Leandro, Santa Rosa, and
Simi Valley, CA.
- Reinforces programs to ensure safety of all personnel,
equipment, and property to comply with OSHA, DOT, EPA and other
- Provide safety training to personnel as needed.
- Responsible for conducting training regarding the safety
program and accident investigations as they pertain to the
- Interpret, understand and act on individual and collective
performance and quality data.
- Utilizes existing technology in warehouse/transportation and
develop logistics scorecard by function.
Maintenance of Facility and Equipment:
- Develop procedures to ensure the efficient operation and
utilization of all warehouse equipment.
- Monitor cleanliness and working condition of all equipment
(fork lifts, order pickers, etc.).
- Plan the quantity and type of equipment to meet business needs
to minimize costs.
- Ensure compliance with company policies and government
Staffing and Employee Development:
- Plan and coordinate facility training program for all logistics
personnel by function.
- Directs training operations of warehouse supervisory and hourly
personnel on all shifts to achieve prescribed objectives.
- Develop and maintain a productive work team by utilizing
programs for hiring, training, and professional development to
match skills and background of personnel to the work required.
- Apply sound communication and motivational techniques,
utilizing programs to supervise, counsel, and discipline
Systems and Measurements:
- Works with logistics team to develop internal processes and
procedures related to warehouse operating systems, i.e., AX, D365,
- Implement preferred methods by function and roll-out
accountability process for measuring against established
Meeting and Exceeding Customer Expectations:
- Maintain a professional and courteous relationship with all
sales, management, customer service, office personnel, and
- Audit operations to ensure customer service standards are being
met, and visit customers and vendors as needed.
- Promote a positive teamwork environment between departments and
- Provides backup support to other facility supervisors/manager.
This may necessitate schedule and shift adjustments as needed
- Participates in group and regional distribution projects.
- Implement company policies and procedures according to company
guidelines for assigned areas of responsibility.
- Is knowledgeable of safe work practices, policies and
procedures and performs all duties in a safe manner. Supports
division safety committee with the objective of an accident free
work place. Ensures regular safety meetings are conducted;
completes and reviews safety incident reports as necessary;
recommends changes to assist in maintaining a safe working
- May be requested to perform other duties as assigned.
Qualifications / Knowledge & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree.
- A thorough understanding of distribution management (customer
service, sales, purchasing, warehouse, credit, information systems
and logistics). Preferably from a large, national or decentralized
- 5+ years of successful supervisory/management experience is
required. Ability to motivate and develop direct reports, as well
as identify new talent.
- PC proficient in Windows based software programs. Familiarity
with mid-range and mainframe systems is helpful. Warehouse
Management System (WMS) experience a plus.
- Excellent leadership, customer relations and interpersonal
skills are required.
- Ability to motivate team, manage multiple projects, work under
pressure, and adapt to sudden changes in the work environment.
- Excellent verbal, written, people, and diplomacy skills are
- Strong planning and organization skills are required.
- Action Oriented: Readily takes action on challenges, without
unnecessary planning; identifies and seizes new opportunities;
displays a can-do attitude in good and bad times; and steps up to
handle tough issues. (Core)
- Collaborates: Works cooperatively with others across the
organization to achieve shared objectives; represents own interests
while being fair to others and their areas; partners with others to
get work done; credits others for their contributions and
accomplishments; and gains trust and support of others. (Core)
- Customer Focus: Gains insight into customer needs; identifies
opportunities that benefit the customer; builds and delivers
solutions that meet customer expectations; and establishes and
maintains effective customer relationships. (Core)
- Delivers Results: Has a strong bottom-line orientation;
persists in accomplishing objectives despite obstacles and
setbacks; has a track record of exceeding goals successfully; and
pushes self and helps others achieve results. (Core)
- Instills Trust: Follows through on commitments; is seen as
direct and truthful; keeps confidences; practices what he/she
preaches; and shows consistency between words and actions.
- Optimizes Work Processes: Identifies and creates the processes
necessary to get work done; separates and combines activities into
efficient workflow; designs processes and procedures that allow
managing from a distance; and seeks ways to improve processes, from
small tweaks to complete reengineering. (Core)
- Communicates Effectively: Is effective in a variety of
communication settings: one-on-one, small and large groups, or
among diverse styles and position levels; attentively listens to
others; adjusts to fit the audience and the message; provides
timely and helpful information to others across the organization;
and encourages the open expression of diverse ideas and
- Manages Conflict: Steps up to conflicts, seeing them as
opportunities for improvement; can hammer out tough agreements and
settle disputes equitably; good at focused listening; understands
others quickly; can find common ground and get cooperation with
- Decision Quality: Makes sound decisions, even in the absence of
complete information; relies on a mixture of analysis, wisdom,
experience, and judgment when making decisions; considers all
relevant factors and uses appropriate decision-making criteria and
principles; and recognizes when a quick 80% solution will
- Directs Work: Provides clear direction and accountabilities;
delegates and distributes assignments and decisions appropriately;
monitors progress by maintaining dialogue on work and results;
provides appropriate guidance and direction based on people's
capabilities; and intervenes as needed to remove obstacles.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirement:
- The physical demands described here are representative of those
that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the
essential functions of this job.
- Travel is required to manage multiple sites
- A significant portion of the incumbent's job responsibilities
will require PC work that involves the continuous use of the
fingers, hands, wrists, and sitting for frequent periods of
- The incumbent is required to talk, see and hear.
- The incumbent must frequently lift and/or move up to 30
- The incumbent must be certified to use material handling
equipment (MHE) typically found within a distribution
- The work environment characteristics described here are
representative of those an employee encounters while performing the
essential functions of this job.
- A portion of the incumbent's job responsibilities will require
PC work that involves the continuous use of the fingers, hands,
wrists, and sitting for frequent periods of time.
- The incumbent is required to talk, see and hear.
- The incumbent must frequently lift and/or move up to 10
- Normal warehouse working conditions.
- Some travel to customers, suppliers, group meetings, etc.
- Equipment: Personal computer, telephone, fax, copier,
Veritiv is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer.
Individuals seeking employment are considered without regards to
race, ethnicity, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
marital status, age, disability, gender identity or expression,
genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status or
any other classification protected by law. Additionally, Veritiv
will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against
employees or applicants because they have inquired about,
discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another
employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the
compensation information of other employees or applicants as part
of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other
employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have
access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in
response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an
investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an
investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with
Veritiv's legal duty to furnish information. If you would like more
information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click
Veritiv is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer:
EEO Policy US | EEO Policy Canada | EEO Policy Mexico
This description does not attempt to define the job's essential
functions as defined by applicable disabilities law.
Keywords: Veritiv, San Leandro , Distribution Manager, Other , San Leandro, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!