Job Summary: Under limited technical supervision, uses skill,
judgment and knowledge of daily operations to supervise a small
group of physical therapists, aides, and students. Efficiently
evaluates and treats a broad spectrum of patients. Communicates
well with staff members, physicians, and other disciplines and
assists with program planning. Performs related duties as
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the
duties performed by employees in this classification, however,
employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level.
Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual
in the classification.
- Communication/Collaboration: Attends team meetings and
conferences on patient care and discharge
- Communication/Collaboration: Attends, participates, and
contributes to in-service educational
- Communication/Collaboration: Communicates with family, case
managers, health insurers, etc. as
- Communication/Collaboration: Confers with other PT's, aides,
and department manager as appropriate
for problem solving and program planning.
- Communication/Collaboration: Confers with referring physicians,
and health care team about patient
- Documentation: Completes required administrative forms for
leave of absences, payroll, and
- Documentation: Writes clear, concise, legible, and objective
information on patient
evaluations, progress notes, discharge notes, equipment orders,
and insurance forms and records accurate daily treatment attendance
- Miscellaneous: Participates in gathering data for Continuing
Quality Assurance, Performance
Improvement, staff surveys, etc.
Miscellaneous: Proficient in use of SMS computer system.
- Miscellaneous: Uses appropriate safety measures - body
mechanics, infection control, environmental
hazard control; cleans treatment area after use.
- Patient care: Administers comprehensive PT evaluations, using
tests and measurements appropriate
for the patient's diagnosis, age, and disabilities.
12 Patient care: Assesses the need for appropriate assistive
devices for ambulation, exercise, joint protection, and pain
control. Orders necessary equipment.
Patient care: Delegates appropriate PT tasks to the PT Aide, PT
Assistant, or PT I.
- Patient care: Develops and implements a treatment plan using
various physical therapy
procedures, group classes, modalities, and techniques to produce
changes in patient outcomes.
- Patient care: Educates patient, family, other caregivers in
self-care, prevention and wellness,
home exercise programs, use of equipment, and safety.
Team Leader Responsibilities: Accepts responsibility for
non-patient care duties, e.g. task forces, in-service new staff,
and IOP, which aids in the delivery of care of the department.
Team Leader Responsibilities: Arranges schedules to accommodate
patient care when a team member is absent.
- Team Leader Responsibilities: Assigns new patients to team
therapists taking into consideration
workloads among therapists, variety of patients, clinical
Team Leader Responsibilities: Assists new PT I Clinical
Instructor in developing skills as a preceptor in the student
Team Leader Responsibilities: Makes sure schedules are up to
date, coordinates the scheduling of Saturday coverage, arranges
schedules to accomodate patient care when a team member is absent
and ensures upcoming discharges are monitored.
- Team Leader Responsibilities: Orients and supervises new staff
members and students. Proofreads
notes and supervises patient care until assured of their
competence. Helps evaluate PT Is, PT Assistants, and PT Aides.
Evaluates students fairly and accurately with the approved clinical
- Team Leader Responsibilities: Prepares the rough draft of the
weekly collaborative care conferences.
Education: Graduation from an approved school of Physical
Minimum Experience: At least One year of experience in the class
of Physical Therapist I as employed by Alameda Health System; OR
two years or more of recent experience in another clinical setting
related to the area of proposed supervision (acute medical, rehab,
SNF, or outpatient).
Required Licenses/Certifications: BLS - Basic Life Support
Certification - issued by AHA-American Heart
Required Licenses/Certifications: Eligibility for, or possession
of, a valid certificate to practice as a Registered Physical
Therapist in the State of California