SUMMARY: The Medical Translator specification describes two
classes which, under close supervision at the lower level and under
direction at the higher level, provide interpreting and translating
services for patients, clients, and staff at the Alameda County
Medical Center (ACMC).
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS: NOTE: The following are the
duties performed by employees in this classification. However,
employees may perform other related duties at an equivalent level.
Not all duties listed are necessarily performed by each individual
in the classification.
1. Provides interpreter/translator services to patients, clients
and their families, and the staff of ACMC; provides telephone
translations between out-patient, clinic, or other health
2. Assists patients in interpreting and clarifying health care
procedures and forms; advise patients, clients and their families
about available health care services; explains and interprets
patient's rights and responsibilities.
3. Under direction, develops and translates technical and
non-technical material; assists in the preparation of brochures,
written and audio-visual material.
4. May assist in the certification process for bi-lingual
5. Performs routine clerical and record-keeping tasks including,
but not limited to, maintaining logs, statistical gathering, and
assisting with dispatching.
6. Attends in-service and mandatory hospital training.
****Candidate must read/write Arabic****
Medical Translator II: Either I Six months as a Medical
Translator I with AHS. Or II One year full-time work experience
providing translator/interpreter services in a Health Care