Staff Nurse II - Emergency Department
Company: Kaiser Permanente
Location: San Leandro
Posted on: January 8, 2021
The Staff Nurse II provides and coordinates emergency nursing
care for patients for a designated time frame. Participates in
patient/family teaching and provides leadership in working
cooperatively with members of the health care team to maintain
standards of professional nursing practice in the clinical
- MSE reflecting sound clinical knowledge & judgment, &
consistent w/Standardized Procedure & State/Federal
- Provision of competent Emergency nursing care, for all ages,
acuities & conditions in the population the facility serves.
- Works within scope of practice, including standardized
procedures, & communicates clearly w/all members of health care
- Completes duties w/regard to safety practices & policies,
including infection control, workplace safety, & management of
- Provision of care is consistent w/EMTALA, Nurse Practice Act,
Title 22 & other applicable regulations, including patient
confidentiality & risk management.
- Proficiencies in emergency responses such as
resuscitation/codes, hazmat response, & emergency childbirth.
- Proficient in the use of computers in documentation, tracking,
- Teamwork w/all internal & external departments & agencies
involved in the provision of care.
- Medication administration & management including titrating
infusions & pediatric medications.
- Requires dependable attendance to scheduled shifts & required
- Maintains all required licenses, certifications & professional
development/ continuing education requirements per department &
- Performs assessment/data collection in an on-going systematic
manner, focusing on physiologic, psychosocial, cultural, spiritual
& cognitive status; also nutrition, pain, patient/family education,
family involvement & patient advocacy.
- Formulates a goal-directed plan of care in collaboration w/the
health care team.
- Implements care in a thorough, skillful, consistent, &
- Establishes priorities or patient care based on essential
patient needs & available unit resources of time, personnel,
equipment, & supplies.
- Evaluates effectiveness of care given by all health care team
- Identifies patient/family learning needs & implements
- Documents patient care & unit activities in a timely, accurate,
& concise manner.
- Demonstrates knowledge of & applies safety principles as
identified within the institution.
- Performs efficiently in emergency patient care situations
following established protocols, remaining calm, informing
appropriate persons, & documenting events.
- Demonstrates responsibility & accountability for own
- Participates in department & interdepartmental Performance
Improvement activities as directed.
- Delegates appropriately & coordinates duties of health care
- Demonstrates a service philosophy in all interactions
w/patients, families, & all members of the health care team.
- Establishes effective working relationships w/members of the
health care team, patients, & families.
- Demonstrates flexibility in the resolution of staffing
- Performs other related duties as necessary.
- This job motivates & provides work direction (direct, check,
review, assign, organize & coordination) to LVN's, ED Technicians,
unit assistants, etc., but does not have the authority to hire,
fire or discipline.Basic Qualifications:
- One (1) year of recent (within the last three (3) years)
experience as a Registered Nurse in the Emergency Department.
- High School Diploma/GED.
- Graduate of an accredited registered nursing program &
completion of the current hours required by the BRN of RN student
clinical experience OR Graduate of registered nursing program &
either: 1) 2000 hours of RN experience in clinical area of
specialty from a licensed acute care facility within three (3)
years of graduation; or 2) graduate of an accredited licensed
vocational nursing program that includes clinical student
experience in acute care & has worked 2000 hours as a licensed
vocational nurse within the clinical area of specialty within three
(3) years before graduation or currently enrolled in an accredited
entry level MSN program and has completed pre-licensure
requirements to practice nursing.
- Successful completion of, or enrollment leading to successful
completion of, the KP Emergency Nursing Course w/ preceptorship, or
equivalent training, or equivalent experience.
- Current license to practice as a Registered Nurse in
- Current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification for health care
- ACLS & PALS certification required within six (6) months of
date of hire into ED position; TNCC, if required, within one (1)
year of date of hire into ED position. Depending on the facility,
TNCC or NRP may also be required for this position.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the RN scope of practice.
- Demonstrated commitment to service orientation (members, staff,
- Demonstrated effective written & oral communication skills (in
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Also refer to Position Specifications outlined in the
appropriate collective bargaining agreement.PrimaryLocation :
California,San Leandro,San Leandro Medical CenterHoursPerWeek :
32Shift : DayWorkdays : Week 1: Mon, Tue, Wed, Sat; Week 2: Sun,
Mon, Tue, Wed.WorkingHoursStart : 10:00 AMWorkingHoursEnd : 6:30
PMJob Schedule : Part-timeJob Type : StandardEmployee Status :
RegularEmployee Group/Union Affiliation : A10-NNU-California
Nurse's AssociationJob Level : Individual ContributorJob Category :
Nursing LicensedDepartment : EmergencyTravel : NoKaiser Permanente
is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse and
inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including
pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital
status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity,
veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing
characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected
status.External hires must pass a background check/drug screen.
Qualified applicants with arrest and/or conviction records will be
considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and
state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, including but
not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance
Keywords: Kaiser Permanente, San Leandro , Staff Nurse II - Emergency Department, Healthcare , San Leandro, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!